All directory webmasters know very well how marketing of their directories is vital for both attracting targeted traffic. But too many directory owners are not using every effective technique for producing more traffic. Read the tips below to bring a lot more traffic to your directory.
1) Write an accurate description of your directory, using 20 to 30 words before submitting.
2) Forget about exchanging links with websites which have themes very different from yours.
3) Brainstorm to find great keyword phrases for using in your directory submissions. Then make a list of three to five link titles.
4) Befriend directory owners so you may request a link exchange.
5) Write articles on directory promotion and be sure to submit them to the top 10 article submission sites.
6) If you can, never make it a requirement for prospective customers to register in order to submit a link.
7) Make it an option to allow deep links in your directory.
8) At major forums where website promotion is discussed, announce your directory and its web address.
9) Make it a regular daily habit of joining directory lists.
10) Work on your directory to make it more attractive to website owners.
11) Start a new blog by writing tips that are helpful to directory owners.
12) Resist the temptation to display ad sense or banners on your directory.
13) On a regular basis answer questions on Yahoo answers or forums. Remember to include your directory in answers.
14) Leave genuine comments on blogs that relate to website promotion; in your comment include your directory url.
15) If possible, offer a one month featured link for free.
16) Provide practical information at your directory that all website owners would love to read if they stop by.
17) Submit your directory to major directories such as DMOZ.org and Yahoo.com
18) Promote your directory as a text ad on newsletters that relate to website promotion.
19) Only submit to high quality directories; do not waste your time submitting to questionable and poorly designed directories.
20) In order to increase your link popularity for ranking higher at the major search engines, get as many one-way links as possible by submitting to quality directories, adding the url to your forum signature, etc.
There are other ways to create buzz for your directory. Be creative and have a lot of fun exploring novel approaches that few other directory webmasters are using. Why? Because if you are the only one employing a very unique marketing technique, guess what? You will drive tons of new traffic to your directory and with little competition! Well worth the troubles. I always advise anyone who will listen to experiement with creative ideas that you dream up while asleep or in your waking hours. Why follow the same marketing methods that are being used by thousands of directory owners? No, you want to be different. You want your directory to stand out from the competition.
Author runs http://www.bullseyelistings.com -- an affordable quality directory with a high approval rate where you can add your directory.